Monday, 20 October 2014

Degree of Intelligence - I

Don't get it?...don't worry you can still be deemed intelligent
            I have often thought that the appellation of 'genius' has been stored for the folks which belong to the scientific field. Well, this is what the notion of intelligence states, at least in the conventional manner. But I think that intelligence is a spectrum whose certain shades seem to glimmer more than the others, as they are closer to you. However, doesn't mean that rest of the bands lack lustre of any sort. So, that brings me to the topic under consideration. Are you intelligent? How good is your IQ? Is the IQ itself flawed? I may be the right person to answer these question, at least my IQ doesn't suggest so.
           So where can I begin, lets pick up from the last paragraph. I am asking a question about IQ (if you find it absurd enough then you can blame me for the same thing). I have seen IQ tests trying to gauge your analytic and mathematical skills,  but never seen one where you have to write a poetry or come up or paint a canvas of imagination. Can an IQ test actually do this? After all these entities cannot be quantified. It leaves that X-factor of the human mind and tries to mould solid statistics to draw conclusions. Perfectly right in its regard, but i guess that leaves a lot to imagination(pun intended). Now, I do think that there is merit in the number under consideration. You can analyze and calculate faster than others, that is impressive. Emotional intelligence of course, is more about your poise and soundness of mind.
          I do have a half-decent IQ,around 128, in case you were thinking about sour grapes. What really got me writing this post was the perception of the word 'genius'. You, apparently could do or think about something which a good number of others couldn't. That, seems to be the prevailing thought. But i reckon that there has been a kind of bias in the recognition,rather reception, of intelligence through the ages. And nope, i don't mean the dark ages, but our own modern age. Our modern age is scientific, How scientific? we will discuss that later. The preceding paragraph was the kind of preview which I wanted to give, later I give some illustrations about how the all time genius may not necessarily be the same person that you and I know. This was the part-I in this two part series, kind of curtain raiser. In part-II we will see why exploring the unknown should needs to be put into context of a person't true potential.
         
           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring out the eggs....eh...feedback