Monday, 26 January 2015

Battling Geometry

This facet of Mathematics is what had beset me during my school days, I had competent scores in both Algebra and Geometry. However, scoring in Geometry took a real back breaking effort which can be assigned to its idiosyncrasies, the poem is just about that.

Its said two parallel lines never meet,
This was Geometry's page one greet,
Knowing these axioms prior was expected,
They made sense, hence tough to be accepted,

We had to know what are secant and a chord,
Without the basics, we were put to the sword,
For everything you need to know value of 'pi',
Only two digits after the point is what I can try,

The simplest of them all was the square,
You can solve it without giving a care,
It was all manageable till the rectangle,
I used to solve it without any wrangle,

Then came those bizarre quadrangles,
And this then gave way to the tangles,
The sides were all distorted,
Many sums I simply aborted,

The textbook had added one more dimension,
Felt it was time to finally get some redemption,
It now had the cylinder, pyramid and the cone,
I then had to get the calculation instinct to hone,

My bete noire were those triangles to construct,
Setting the scale was where I mostly got stuck,
My compass wasn't drawing arcs like a magic wand,
I took it upon myself to just scribble them by my hand.

                                                             - Rajmohan Yadav




No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring out the eggs....eh...feedback